Monday, January 25, 2010

Embalse El Yeso

Reservoir El Yeso



Mountain flowers in the Andes

Rafting on the Rio Maipo


January 25, 2010
Monday
First of all....A very Happy Birthday to my son Tom!!
Embalse El Yeso was my destination today. This is a reservoir to the east of Santiago up in the Andes Mountains. If you’re on the short list to receive my S.P.O.T. check in messages, then today you received an email showing exactly where the reservoir is located. (Lat: 33°38'55.03"S, Lon: 70° 4'24.65"W) It took me about an hour and a half to two hours to get there, as once you leave the blacktop there’s about twenty four kilometers of dirt road to contend with. I found myself a little gun shy on the dirt road today given the experience I had in the Atacama Desert a week or so ago. The road was good and I noticed the bike temperature raising the higher up into the mountains I went. I attributed it to a couple of things, first the wind was to my back on the way in, and I kept the speed down to keep from falling on my ass again! I would stop every once in a while to let the bike cool down before moving on. I took the new Nikon S-570 camera with me today, and after reviewing the pictures this evening, I must say, and you can quote me on this, The S-570 is one hell of a little camera! I uploaded quite a few of the pictures to my SmugMug gallery (that you can get to from this blog) at a reduced size and I have to say they still look fantastic. They rival the pictures from my Nikon D-300 12.1 Mega Pixel camera. I’ll be interested to see how the new Nikon lens I have waiting for me back home will compare. Back to the story, it was a totally clear sunny day as usual, and the road leading to the reservoir offered many opportunities for great picture taking. The reservoir is quite large, and with the mountains as a backdrop, it’s breathtaking. Crystal clear blue water surrounded by some very rugged mountains. Just beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment