Friday, January 15, 2010

Off To Calama

Mano Del Desierto

Sea Lions on the Pacific

January 14, 2010
Thursday

I had a great deal of time to think as I rode thru the desert today, and one irony came to mind. How can the driest desert on Earth be right next to the largest body of water on Earth? I do know the answer to this one! While driving north along the coast there was abundant evidence that the Pacific Ocean isn’t always pacific. In at least two places there was evidence of the mighty Pacific coming a quarter mile inland to claim a piece of the Pan-American Highway. I’d love to see that storm! Took the road right out!
How do you say Jack Ass in Spanish? This morning, as I prepared to leave the place I stayed at last night, I found my motorcycle blocked in by a car. I mean this guy left me no way to get my bike out, at all! It was nearly nine in the morning, so I went and knocked on the door of the cabin to which the vehicle belonged, and an older guy answered the door. I explained, very nicely, that his vehicle was blocking my bike and I had no way to get it out, to which he proceeded to bitch me out for waking him at that hour of the day, and then told me he was going back to bed and I would get out when he was ready. Oh boy! If you know anything about me, you know that ain’t gonna fly! I didn’t take him seriously so I waited for him to come move his car. Five minutes…Ten minutes. OK times up! I wound up having to get someone from the office to wake Sleeping Beauty up so he’d move his damn car. He finally did! I guess some people around here must get up at the crack of noon! What a Jack Ass!
The rest of the day was a long ride across the desert. I did stop at a few interesting places along the way. You can see them in the Photo Gallery. One thing I can say is, I have see all the dirt and rocks I want to see for quite a while. I’m hoping the next day or two will be a bit more picturesque. We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment