Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What To Do?

The Nikon S-570

January 26, 2010
Tuesday
Ever since the “Disaster in the Desert” I’ve been trying to come up with a good solution to the loss of the lens that was on my Nikon D-300 digital SLR camera. I have a second lens with me, but it's a Macro lens best used for very close up photography, like taking pictures of bugs and flowers. It doesn’t work well for the kind of photos I generally take. Since losing my lens in the Desert, I’ve ordered and received a new Nikon lens to replace the broken one. Problem is, I’m in South America and the new lens is in western New York USA. I looked into having the new lens shipped to me, but found it would be a bit pricy, between $200 and $300, not to mention the pissiblility of having something happen to the new lens in transit. What to do? I still have about a month and a half here in Chile. That’s when the lights came on, take the money I would spend shipping the lens and buy a good Point and Shoot camera for the time being, so off to the Mall I went. In one of the camera stores in the Mall Alto Las Condes, I found a small, compact Nikon S-570 12 Mega Pixel Point and Shoot camera. My big expensive Nikon D-300 has 12.1 Mega Pixels. Just what I wanted, so I walked out the proud owner of yet another Nikon. I spent a day or so familiarizing myself with the camera, and yesterday rode the bike into the Andes Mountains to take some serious pictures with the new little Nikon. I took multiple pictures to later join them together into Panoramas. I took pictures from nealy half a mile away of rafters in the River Maipo, using the Telephoto Zoom. I took pictures of mountain flowers in Macro mode. I took regular snap shots, and when I say this little camera is fantastic, I’m not kidding! The pictures that you see in the post titled "Embalse El Yeso", are all taken with this impressive little camera, and although they are reduced in size for ease of uploading, they still look great. There are more shots taken with the S-570 if you look in “My Photo Gallery” Chile 2010 gallery, taken on yesterdays trip to the Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment