Thursday, January 14, 2010

In The Atacama


January 13, 2010
Wednesday

I left Valle Del Elqui early yesterday morning and headed north into the heart of the Atacama Desert, leaving just about anything green behind. This is an interesting landscape of what appears to be only two kinds of vegetation, some kind of a scrubby bush, and Cacti. Nothing else! As I rode farther north into the Atacama there was nothing growing, and I had to laugh as I passed a sign that had a Deer crossing symbol on it. The Deer down here must be pretty tough, because the only two things to eat in this area are rocks and dirt!
I reached Bahia Inglesa (English Bay) late in the day. From all I have heard about Bahia Inglesa, it’s big with the tourists, especially the ones from Argentina. Bahia Inglesa is right on the Pacific Ocean and it has a beautiful crescent shaped beech. This is where I stopped for the night. This morning I will push on northward toward Antofagasta, not knowing where I’ll end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment