Monday, January 24, 2011

The Lake Region Of Chile

Yankee Way Lodge at the foot of Volcan Osorno on Lago Llanquihue

Salto Petrohue


Mon. Jan. 24, 2011

The rest of the gang is now enjoying the cruise to Laguna San Rafael in southern Chile. We had a very nice time in Puerto Montt prior to their departure. I left Puerto Montt on Sunday, and made my way north about a half hour to the resort town of Puerto Varas located on the southern shore of lake Llanquihue, pronounced (Yankee-way). From Puerto Varas I followed the south shore road east until I reached Salto de Petrohue. Salto de Petrohue is a very scenic set of waterfalls that are located near where Lake Todos Los Santos empties into the Rio Petrohue. I have tried three times over the years to see this set of waterfalls and each time something kept me from reaching them. This time I made it, and it was worth both the trip and the wait. The pictures of the area should speak for themselves.
After seeing the Falls, I headed back to Puerto Varas and took a room at the Hotel Licarayen on the shore of lake Llanquihue, a hotel that I have stayed at many times before. Looks like I picked the right day to be in Puerto Varas, because across the street from the Hotel was the Festival De La Cerveza, in the plaza. I’m pretty sure most of you know what Cerveza means! If not, it’s BEER! Puerto Varas has a very strong German heritage, and many excellent beers are brewed in that area. At the festival you could find all kinds of beers and German food. The dark beer was my favorite.
I am now in the little town of Entre Lagos on the shore of Lago Puyehue. I plan to tour this area around the lakes until I head back to Puerto Montt to meet the gang on their return from the cruise on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment