Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Argentina Comes To Chile


This evening I thought I would treat myself to a special meal, and since I had spied a new restaurant literally half a block from where I’m staying, called “Bariloche”, I thought I would try it. If you have followed any of my previous trips to South America, you've heard the word “Bariloche”. San Carlos de Bariloche or Bariloche as most would refer to it, is a resort town in Argentina just over the Andes Mountains from the southern Chilean town of Osorno, on the shores of lake Nahuel Huapi. Bariloche was settled primarily by Austrians, Germans, Slovenes, Chileans and Italians. To make a long story short, until now, the best meal I have had was in Bariloche. Any ways let’s get back to the restaurant in Santiago. As many of you already know, I have a soft spot for Argentine beef, mostly around my stomach. The beef that comes from Argentina is the best beef in the world, bar none!
As I walked into the “Bariloche Restorante” the first thing I noticed was a strong odor of leather. Argentina is known for its leather products. There was indoor and outdoor seating; I chose to sit indoors so my meal would not become prematurely cold. The indoor seating was all booths, booths lined with suede leather, and place mats made of quarter inch leather. No Happy Meals here! I knew right away, this culinary experience would be special.
The waiter came to the table and asked if I would like something to drink, I ordered a bottle of “Casillero Del Diablo” (Conch Y Toro) Merlot 2009. An excellent wine to accompany the “Bife Chorizo” 500g (Delmonico steak) and the accompanying Mediterranean Salad. The waiter brought bread and garlic butter to the table, and was not shy about keeping my wine glass properly filled.
The salad arrived first, and was accompanied by olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. About the time I finished the large salad, the meat showed up. The meat arrived in a dish so hot it sizzled. The piece of meat was so thick (2 inches), I cut it down the middle and put it face down in the plate to cook a bit more. It took a while to get through the two halves of meat, but the food was excellent. Cooked to perfection!
Once the meal was finished, I ordered an Espreso. This was as good a meal as I’ve had in any part of South America. Only thing missing was Sharon. Next year for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment